Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Forget security-theatre, here’s some security penny dreadful

Former Newcastle striker Faustino Asprilla claims he ORDERED pilot to remain in cockpit during flight so other airman could not crash the jet (and gave him an empty bottle in case he needed a loo break)

Yeah, OK, it’s the Daily Mail, so the odds of it being true are considerably less than 50/50.  I guess the evidence will be there or not on Instagram for anyone who wants to look for it, but I’m not one of those.  Let’s go crazy and assume that the DM is telling something resembling the truth for once.

Sitting on an aircraft, Asprilla told his followers: 'I went to the pilot's cabin. I strictly forbid the pilot to get out and urinate because if that other lunatic locks the door in, it will happen what happened in that other flight. Everyone knows.”

Personally, I’d be more worried about a pilot busting for a piss or spraying urine around the cockpit than I would be about one of them deliberately crashing the plane.  In fact, I’d be a lot more worried about passengers who feel entitled to dictate a pilot’s behaviour.

As far as anyone knows, the Germanwings tragedy is the only time a pilot has ever decided to crash the plane when the other pilot left the cockpit.

We’re so bad at understanding risk that I’m constantly amazed that any of us manage to get through a single day, myself included.

No comments:

Post a Comment